It’s O.K. to be Afraid
Of all the emotions I’ve felt throughout my life, one I really regret is fear. Well, no. I don’t regret feeling fear, necessarily. Fear can be helpful in certain situations – like when danger occurs and triggers your “flight or fight” mechanism.
So, I should say that I regret those times when I let fear (of the unknown) stop me from taking powerful action.
Here are some hypothetical examples of what I’m talking about.
- Maybe you had a job offer that seemed enticing, but some risky element kept you in an unfulfilling (but safe) situation.
- Have you stayed in a lifeless relationship because you were afraid you’d never find another companion?
- Have you ever wanted to do a triathlon or Ironman but were too afraid of how it might feel learning a new skill you may not be great at yet?
I used to make those decisions too often. And then I looked closer and found that sometimes my fear had actually been just anxiety or uncertainty. And I looked at friends who had succeeded despite their similar worries.
You know, courage isn’t the absence of fear; it’s acknowledging the fear and doing the right thing anyway.
So, what are you afraid of that’s holding you back?
- Make a rational decision based on probable outcomes.
- Ask what’s the worst that can happen, and if you’d be OK with it.
- Fully imagine what success will look like, taste like, sound like, and feel like.
Accept the fear or dismantle it – but BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, and there’s nothing you can’t do.
I’ve opened up a few spots in my signature “TRIATHLON TRANSFORMATION” Program. ARE YOU IN?
LET’S talk about it… SCHEDULE YOUR “TRIATHLON BREAKTHROUGH” SESSION TO FIND OUT MORE! Click this link: http://www.scheduleyou.in/5ZIsVaU to schedule for a complimentary 30 minute session to ask me anything about triathlon, health and wellness or holistic lifestyle/ nutrition.
Erinne Guthrie is a USA Triathlon Level II Certified Coach since 1999 and Chief Motivating Officer at Full Circle Coaching, LLC since 2010. Creator of the 16 week Triathlon Transformation. She has been training, racing and coaching triathletes since 1997. She is also a CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach Level 3, USMS Master’s Swim Coach, Motivational Speaker, Metabolic Efficiency Specialist, Mom, Mermaid and much much more.