Rockstar: Jose Alvarez
Jose did not want to join my coaching program. He was doing his own thing following an online program, while his wife Carmen decided to join us. I would see him at all the training sessions doing his own thing- wishing I would get the opportunity to work with him because I noticed a few things he could improve upon!
Finally after a few months of seeing Carmen’s improvements, Carmen gifted him his evaluations and we were able to start measuring his baseline so I could prove to him, after working on his technique he could get even faster.
Jose was already fast. He already trained a lot. He did not know what he did not know!
This is my favorite athlete to work with because they are already dedicated to doing the work.
It’s the technique, nutrition and pacing work that this type of athlete is missing that makes all the difference in getting faster and stronger with the same amount of work.
Read below for all the details- Congratulation Jose you are truly a Rockstar Triathlete. Looking forward to your next PR at NC 70.3 in a few weeks!
What is your age?
61 years young
What is your profession?:
Why did you choose FCC to help you on your triathlon/health and wellness journey?
I wanted to improve my performance. The way to improve was to incorporate better technique into the different disciplines of Triathlon.
What is your “A” race for this season?
My A races for the 2023 season were Miami Half Marathon, USAT Nationals Olympic Distance Triathlon and North Carolina 70.3.
What are your BIG goals?
My big goals are to continue to improve my performance and to become more consistent in my races. In the past I had a lot of peaks and valleys.
What were some of your biggest improvements in performance for each of the following? Swim, Bike, Run, and Nutrition/Health. Please include any Personal Records and Goals achieved.
- I have improved my swimming – Swim Miami 5K improved by 13 minutes, from 1:48 to 1:35.
- My run is becoming more consistent. My best time in the Miami Half Marathon was back in 2017 @ 1:54. This year I ran the Miami Half Marathon @ 1:52.
- I had a PR @ USAT Nationals Olympic Distance Triathlon From 3:51 in 2018 to 3:38 this year.
- I have established PRs in my 400yds and 200yds Swim Tests.
- I have established PRs in the Mile Run Test to 6:22/ mile and the 5K @ 22:53 (MIA 5K).
- A big change in Nutrition. I am more conscious about what I eat. I look at the ingredients in foods I buy at the supermarket and look for foods that are organic and/or natural without preservatives. This is something that is constantly drilled into us by coaches in the team. Food is energy and needs to be clean!
Tell me about your successes so far!
I have had successes in all disciplines of Triathlon. My run and swim have improved and are more consistent. As I have been able to improve my swim and run without affecting my Cycling.
Name 2 or 3 things that have made the biggest difference in your journey:
- One of the biggest changes in my approach to training is that now I train for overall Fitness. I look to improve fitness level for races rather that train for the specific characteristics of a race.
- I have a better planning methodology for race goals and objectives by creating a race plan that addresses performance and nutrition.
- My approach to training is more structured. I look to meet the training objectives which include adherence to power, pace, heart rate, cadence, form and/or technique.
What excites you the most about being involved in triathlon?
What I like most about Triathlon is the diversity of sports disciplines. I can stay fit in each sport. Because of Triathlon training, I feel confident to participate in swimming, running or cycling events individually. And of course compete in triathlons which is becoming a mainstream sport. We see the youth adopting the sport and competing.
What would you say to another person who was on the fence about joining our training program?
Full Circle offers a complete program which addresses structured training, fitness, health and well being. This program leads to improved performance and a healthier lifestyle.
It has transformed me in that I train smarter and not harder.
The Full Circle program has transformed me in that I really do not look at how much I train, but how well I train. This has led to measurable improvement in tests and competitions.
Someone trying to become a better athlete in a group environment with other athletes that have similar goals and objectives, should seriously consider the program.
Coaching on Form and Technique are essential to realize significant improvement. The Full Circle program incorporates filming and analysis, so the athlete is aware of what needs to be corrected. Additionally, the program promotes taking caring of our bodies through nutrition, mobility training and strengthening exercises. If we take care of our body, it will perform better with the appropriate training and coaching.
Do you want results like these? My 16-week Triathlon Transformation Training Program is designed to help you get faster for your next triathlon in less time than other training programs.
The Triathlon Transformation Program focuses on you as an individual; your form, technique, strength, fueling, and mindset. Through video analysis, metabolic testing, holistic lifestyle coaching, and a supportive community, you will achieve all your triathlon dreams and goals to get faster in less time.
If you want to show up confidently at the start of your next race — swimming, biking, and running past the competition, sprinting across the finish line with arms overhead, knowing you nailed it — then this program is for you.
Erinne Guthrie has been a USA Triathlon Level II Certified Coach since 1999 and Chief Motivating Officer at Full Circle Coaching, LLC since 2010. Creator of Triathlon Transformation. She has been training, racing, and coaching triathletes since 1997. She is also a CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach Level 3, USMS Master’s Swim Coach, Motivational Speaker, Metabolic Efficiency Specialist, Mom, Mermaid, and much more.